If you're in the mood for a slice of pure indulgence, this Delicious Chocolate Cake is the answer. This recipe will guide you through creating a decadent 2-layer, 8-inch cake that's sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings.
For Devil's Food Cake:
- 1 ½ cups (195g) cake and pastry flour 🍰
- 1 ⅓ cups (295g) superfine (quick dissolve) sugar 🍚
- ½ cup (60g) Dutch process cocoa powder 🍫
- ¾ tsp (4g) baking soda 🥄
- ¼ tsp (2g) salt 🧂
- ½ cup (115g) cool, unsalted butter, cut into pieces 🧈
- ½ cup (125ml) hot, strong brewed coffee ☕
- ½ cup (125ml) milk 🥛
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla extract 🌰
- 2 large eggs, room temperature 🥚
For the Fudge Frosting:
- 12 oz (340g) semisweet chocolate, chopped 🍫
- 1 ¾ cups (425ml) whipping cream 🥛
- ½ cup (125ml) sour cream 🍯
- ½ tsp (3ml) vanilla extract 🌿
- Pinch of salt 🧂
Baking Directions for the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Grease 2 8-inch cake pans and line the bottoms with parchment paper. Dust the sides of the pans with flour, tapping out any excess.
- Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl or into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the butter, cutting it in until the mixture is a fine crumble, similar to fine breadcrumbs, with no large pieces of butter visible.
- Stir the hot coffee, milk, and vanilla together and add it all at once to the flour mixture, blending until smooth. Add the eggs and blend until the batter is smooth and fluid. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans and tap them on the counter to eliminate any bubbles.
- Bake the cakes for about 30 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for 20 minutes in their pans, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool completely to room temperature. The cakes can be baked a day ahead, wrapped, and stored at room temperature before frosting.
Directions for the Fudge Frosting:
- Place the chocolate and cream in a metal bowl over a pot of barely simmering water. Stir the mixture occasionally until all the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove the bowl from the heat and whisk in the sour cream, vanilla, and salt. Let the mixture cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Once the frosting has thickened to a spreadable consistency, use it to generously frost the first cake layer. Top it with the second layer and frost the top and sides of the cake, creating a decorative design.
- Chill the cake for at least 2 hours, or until it's ready to be served.
- Your Delicious Chocolate Cake is ready to enjoy. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Indulge in the rich, chocolatey goodness of this cake, perfect for any occasion or simply as a delightful treat. 🍰🍫🎂