Amish Poor Man's Steak: A Humble Culinary Journey
Embark on a culinary journey into the heart of Amish communities with the Amish Poor Man's Steak – a dish that reflects the humility and innovation inherent in traditional Amish cooking. This recipe offers an ingenious alternative to pricier steak cuts, employing ground beef and essential pantry items to forge a delectable, heartwarming meal that has been cherished through numerous generations.
The Amish Poor Man's Steak presents a canvas of culinary versatility, allowing it to be served in a multitude of delightful ways. A classic pairing involves accompanying it with a side of velvety mashed potatoes and rich, butter-kissed corn, where the textural contrast between the robust steak patty and the smooth potatoes engenders a truly indulgent experience. Further elevate your meal with green beans, oven-roasted vegetables, or a vibrant green salad to introduce a burst of freshness and a balanced, wholesome plate.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 diced onion
- 1 cup crumbled saltine crackers
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Gravy Sauce:
- 1-2 cans cream of mushroom soup
- 1.5 cups of milk
1. Preheat & Mix: Begin by preheating your oven to 350°F. In a mixing bowl, meld together the ground beef, crumbled saltine crackers, milk, minced onion, and seasonings until uniformly mixed.
2. Shape & Coat: Mould the meat mixture into oval or rectangular patties, mimicking traditional steak shapes, and daintily coat each with flour, ensuring to shake off excess.
3. Brown Patties: In a spacious skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat, placing the patties therein to cook until they achieve a browned appearance on both sides, approximately 3 minutes per side. Set aside after removing them.
4. Prepare to Bake: Relocate the patties to a greased 9x13 baking dish. Mix the gravy sauce ingredients in a bowl and cascade over the patties.
5. Bake: Envelope your baking dish with foil and bake for 50 minutes. Uncover and allow an additional 10 minutes of baking.
Relish the warm, comforting essence of the Amish Poor Man's Steak, where the union of straightforward ingredients crafts a gastronomical delight that promises to envelop your family in a savory embrace. This Amish classic stands as a testament to the timeless appeal and enduring charm of dishes that are not only easy on the pocket but also a feast for the palate.